For owners, it makes a lot of sense to go with a design-builder for your next construction project. Having one party responsible for the entire process simplifies communication and makes for a more seamless experience.
On the other hand, not all design-build contractors are the same. What if you end up with one that is terrible and that will give you a subpar experience? Not only do you want to find a design-build contractor that is going to do everything they promise but also one that fits with the vision and values of your organization.
To ensure that your next construction project is as successful as possible, here is a list of must-ask questions for a potential design-builder. If you’re comfortable with the answers, you’ll be in excellent shape.
Questions About Pre-Construction for Your Design-Builder
What happens during your search phase and before construction begins can be critical to the success of your project. These are several key questions you should ask any design-build company.
- Can you describe your information gathering process before filling out a bid form?
- What is your experience in building the exact structure that we require? Can you show me your portfolio of projects?
- Who would I be working with and what are their qualifications and experience?
- Can I get at least five client references and their contact information?
- What are your company’s values and philosophy and how does this relate to work in the field?
- What is your track record of delivering projects on schedule and on budget?
Ask Your Design-Builder How the Process will Work
The first set of questions might help you narrow down your choices, but you shouldn’t stop there. Ask another series of questions about what is going to happen during the design and construction phase of your project.
- If we hire you, how soon will you be able to start on our project?
- What are the certifications of the people on your in-house team and how soon will you start assembling an outside team for this project?
- Can you explain your existing relationships with materials providers and specialty vendors?
- What is your communications method to keep the client updated in both the design and construction phase of the project?
- What will our role be in the design and construction phases of the project and how much time will you need from us?
- What is your track record for safety and what safety protocols do you have in place?
- Do you build LEED-certified structures and have any LEED-certified staff in-house?
- How much of the paperwork for this project will you handle on our behalf?
- Can you describe the nature and frequency of your site assessments during the project?
- Will there be any energy-efficient materials used in the build and how are these decisions made?
Post-Construction Questions to Ask Your Design-Builder
Even after your project is delivered, there will still be some post-construction work to complete. Here are a few key questions to ask your contractor at the conclusion of your project.
- What is the procedure for handing off the building so that we know how to best maintain it?
- Are there any warranties for the work and do you follow-up with us?
- What government compliance documents and records do you provide? What sort of paperwork will we be given upon completion?
- Does my facility master plan include possibilities for future expansion that we can do with your company?
Contact K-Con, Inc. with Your Design-Build Questions
K-Con, Inc. are experienced and professional design-build contractors that specialize in pre-engineered metal building projects for government and commercial clients. We have completed hundreds of projects throughout the U.S. and abroad, and are available to answer questions about how we can help fulfill your needs.
Contact us today and be sure to ask about our quick turnaround for preliminary pricing and drawings.