Whether you are going to be adding on to your current building or customizing an entirely new structure, pre-fabricated construction is one of the best ways to save money on your project and keep it on schedule for faster completion.
Scratching your head about the dimensions of your pre-engineered office project? These buildings can range anywhere from a few hundred to more than twenty thousand square feet of space, so you have choices. When you make these decisions, you should not only consider the space for your staff but also what you might require for future expansion.
How Much Office Space Will You Need?
A simple enough way to begin with the calculations for the dimensions of a pre-engineered office is to consider the specifications for a standard office and then add in common area space. Your calculations will vary depending on how you plan to lay out your office space.
If you have a portion of your office space that will be occupied by upper management, you’ll want to budget the space accordingly. C-suite employees generally rate a private workspace.
- CEO/President: 200-400 square feet
- Vice-Presidents: 150-250 square feet
- Other Top Managers: 90-150 square feet
Employees who are not considered managers generally work in a more open environment. This consists of large open floor spaces, sometimes with cubicles. There are some exceptions in industries where employees require privacy for their positions.
- Open Space Workstation: 60-110 square feet
- Standard Cubicle: 45-50 square feet
Additional Office Space Needs.
In general, office spaces will have other space needs and requirements for common areas.
- Reception Area: 100 square feet, plus 10 square feet per person in a waiting area
- Break Room: 125 square feet
- Conference Room: 50-60 square feet, plus up to 25 square feet per seat
- Restrooms: 55 square feet for one stall and then 30 square feet for each additional stall
- File Room: 120-300 square feet
- Corridors/Hallways: add 25-30% to your total usable space
Have You Planned for Future Expansion?
Once you’ve determined the ideal dimensions for your new pre-engineered office, you might want to take your calculations a step further. One overriding goal of most companies is continued expansion and growth. Considering this, you should take a close look at your firm’s growth projections and ask yourself a few simple questions:
- How many employees are you expecting to add over the next several years?
- How quickly do you plan to add staff?
- What positions will this new staff hold?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you can make some adjustments to your pre-engineered office plan so that you’ll have enough space to accommodate this expansion.
Speak to K-Con, Inc. About Your Next Pre-Engineered Office Project
K-Con, Inc. is a design-build general contractor that specializes in working with government entities and commercial clients to design, produce, and install pre-engineered metal buildings. Our high-quality projects make ideal pre-engineered office buildings, and we have also completed projects for client warehouses, workshops, guard booths, and aircraft buildings.
Contact K-Con today to get started with the planning for your next pre-engineered building project. Be sure to ask about our quick turnaround time for preliminary budgets and plans.